You are here
By Jack Cush, MD | 28 October 2016
Dr. Jack Cush reviews highlights, news and journal reports from this week at RheumNow.com
- A persistant limp in a child is the most common early sign of juvenile arthritis. http://buff.ly/2eDouyw
- Hydroxychloroquine hearing loss/ototoxicity - a rare complication that I did not know about! https://t.co/W4JM6mbTKW
- Twos tudies suggest RA is associated with 1.5-2 fold increased risk of hearing loss. https://t.co/qMLNbfFdre https://t.co/Kafe628jUI
- Panel of neutrophil genes may be highly predictive of TNFi response in RA pts; CMPK2, IFIT1B, and RNASE3 https://t.co/4jjaHdgGgQ
- Comparing TB vs Pyogenic spondylitis:TB spondylitis has more extraspinal findings, Hx TB, +IGRA; also more fever, abscess (psoas,vert) https://t.co/IeKPQDY6M9
- In Ireland, Pfizer has cut the price of Enbrel to match the price of Benepali - an ETN biosimilar. https://t.co/AKdp5bhHoc
- J&J will compete w/ price of Inflectra through a variety of innovative contracting options, discounts & rebates to payers, providers, & PBMs
- Rheumatoid nodules almost never ulcerate; but gout tophi DO! Risk factors age, tophus size & no protective sensation https://t.co/kmsnNlRBF2
- Everything will be alright in the end; & if it’s not alright, then it’s not yet the end. Dr. Cush blogs on “Prescribing Hope in Medicine” https://t.co/7CHXGJBuuA
- Metanalysis 3 RCTs shows starting allopurinol during acute gout attack does not increase pain or prolong attack. https://t.co/XU6CQxBTNU
- RA Blacks usually have less Xray erosions; new study shows PAD4/PAD3 Abs found in African-Americans w/ Xray severity https://t.co/CDpUQDbLfa
- 5 big Methotrexate Mistakes: Such as taking MTX : 1) daily (instead of weekly); 2) without Folate daily; 3) with renal failure, 4) without routine labs; abd 5) with HBsAg+
- Type I diabetes is often assoc w/ other autoimmune Dz, includying Hashimotos, celiac sprue, Graves, RA, vitiligo https://t.co/CHWK3fuXOK
- The POSTURE Study finds that Apremilast Fails in Ankylosing Spondylitis. http://rheumnow.com/content/posture-study-apremilast-fails-ankylosing-sp...
- Metanalysis of simultaneous versus staged bilateral total knee arthroplasty http://rheumnow.com/content/simultaneous-versus-staged-bilateral-total-k...
- Kawasaki Disease Pathogenesis Hinges on Interleukin-1 . New finding that a polymorphism in the inositol-triphosphate 3-kinase C leads to increased NLRP3 inflammasome activity and excess IL-1 in KD patients.