You are here
The RheumNow Week in Review discusses the past week's news, journal articles and highlights from RheumNow.com. This week's report discusses metabolic syndrome in lupus, bisphosphonate holidays, vasculitis and vascular inflammation, Vaccination and the repeated wonders of Vitamin D.
- No difference in folic acid low dose vs high dose use with regard to hepatotoxicity of MTX. https://t.co/fnqqqwyE23
- Metabolic syndrome is found in 26% of SLE pts; SLE is associated nearly 2 fold risk of Metabolic syndrome. https://t.co/WZJW7l54r2
- This Weeks News features Vitamin D being linked to Neuropathy, Multiple sclerosis and also alopecia areata! It appears that Vitamin D must be anti-kryptonite to mankind. https://t.co/gGSexoq515
- After 3-5yrs bisphosphonates in postmenopausal 183 OP women, BP Drug holiday assoc with a 40% higher risk of new fractures https://t.co/N19RKPQGVx
- Sandoz announces FDA will review its biosimilar version of rituximab https://t.co/80E1jopxqd
- Stelara doesnt cause TB; but Stelara use in a high risk "TB Land" (Taiwan) is associated with new seroconversion rate of 7.3% (new infx) https://t.co/X3aRi49W9y
- IL-6/Th17/IL-17 drives systemic inflammation, while IL-12/Th1/IFN-γ drives vascular inflammation; Importance to be determined in patients with takayasu’s or giant cell arteritis https://t.co/3dYRvV7I5K
- SELECT-BEYOND study shows upadacitinib (JAK1inhibitor) efficacy with 52% LDAS and >32%remission rates at 24 wks, but a small safety imbalance was noted. SAE 5/7/0 and deaths 1/1/0 in the UPA, but not PBO groups. https://t.co/UZBe7B3W5b
- In this last decade 145,000 people have Overdosed on prescription opioids; during which deaths quadrupled. MDs wrote for 250,000,000 opioid Rx in 2012 https://t.co/M76RzZTIAy
- Severe esophageal dysmotility in 200 Scleroderma is associated with disease duration, Interstitial Lung disease, GI Sx scores, low HRQOL https://t.co/wVrsnbkrDj
- Shingrix (GSK) new Zoster Vaccine is Recommended by FDA Panel.
- Why Rheumatologists Should Do Better Vaccinating this Flu Season
- The Story Teller