Friday, 18 Jan 2019

You are here

BMS Buyout of Celgene for $74 Billion

Reuters reports that Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS) has announced its intention to buy Celgene Corp for nearly $74 billion in a cash-and-stock deal.

Celgene shareholders will receive one BMS share and $50 in cash per share (or $102.43 per share), and a premium of 53.7 percent to Celgene’s Wednesday close.

Celgene and BMS will have to pay $2.2 billion if either of the drugmakers walks away from their $74 billion merger according to a regulatory filing.

BMS shareholders are expected to own nearly 69% of the merged company, with Celgene shareholders owning the remaining 31%.

As part of the transaction, BMS will gain rights to Celgene's cancer therapy Revlimid (lenalidomide), as well as its CAR-T portfolio, which it acquired via its $9-billion takeover of Juno Therapeutics last year.

The combined company will have nine products with more than $1 billion in annual sales. Together, the company will have an oncology pipeline for solid and hematologic tumors led by blockbuster treatments Opdivo, Revlimid, Pomylyst and Yervoy. Its cardiovascular pipeline will be led by Eliquis and the immunology and inflammation franchise will be led by Orencia and Otezla.

The deal, which is worth $95 billion including Celgene’s debt, is the largest pharmaceutical deal ever and brings together two of the world’s largest cancer drug businesses.

 

Disclosures: 
The author has received compensation as an advisor or consultant on this subject

Add new comment

More Like This

Anakinra for Acute Crystal-Induced Arthritis

A retrospective analysis of hospitalized patients who also had a gout and pseudogout attack shows that injections of anakinra (interleukin-1 receptor antagonist) were highly effective and safe in nearly three-quarters of patients.  

Through a medical records search they found 100 patients and 115 episodes between 2014-2017 who were treated with anakinra for crystal arthritis. 

IL-6 Blocker Succeeds in Real-World Vasculitis

Tocilizumab (Actemra) was effective for refractory giant cell arteritis (GCA) in real-world practice, although serious infections occurred relatively frequently, Spanish investigators reported.

Severe Cutaneous Sarcoid Treated with Tofacitinib

Researchers from Yale have taken a novel approach and shown benefits when using tofacitinib in severe cutaneous sarcoidosis.

A report in the NEJM describes a 48-year-old female woman who was previously unresponsive to multiple medications and had not received systemic glucocorticoids. She was treated with tofacitinib 10 mg twice-daily and clinically responded with near disappearance of her skin lesions..

Best of 2018: Unproven But Profitable Stem Cell Clinics

Stem cell clinics are popular and proliferating as they are largely a cash business and fall outside of FDA regulatory control. In lieu of scientific proof, most advocates use patient testimonials and the placebo effect to back up their claims.

Kallikrein Inhibitor Lanadelumab Prevents Hereditary Angioedema Attacks

Hereditary angioedema is a rare autosomal dominant disorder due to C1 inhibitor deficiency (type I) or dysfunction (type II) that leads to dysregulated plasma kallikrein activity, excess bradykinin production, and unpredictable potentially life-threatening recurrent angioedema attacks.