You are here
By Jack Cush, MD | 25 January 2019
Dr Jack Cush reviews the news from the past week at RheumNow.com.
- Meta-analysis of 4719 elderly RA/IBD/PSO pts on biologics vs 13,305 younger vs 3961 older patients (no biologics) shows biologic use in elderly to be assoc w/ an increased risk of infections (3.6 fold increase in risk) but no increase in cancer or death https://t.co/pWtMMo2KQ1
- Using FMF-KI knockout mice (high TNF levels) researchers find TNF signaling drives pyrin & inflammasome activation; TNF is a critical modulator of pyrin of pyrin-inflammasomopathies like FMF. This is why TNF inhib sometimes work in inflammasomopathies. https://t.co/0EvuTI57tn
- Systematic review of literature and 478 RA patients (mostly female; age 53-64 yrs) shows 73 to 97% of patients being unaware of an increased risk of developing Cardiovascular Disease in relation to their RA, https://t.co/aNM3wI2KBo
- JAMA study shows that when drug companies increased their opioid marketing budgets by just $5.29 per 1,000 population, the number of MD opioid prescriptions went up 82% and opioid deaths increased 9%. https://t.co/4FAr53gH17
- Using the 1998-2014 U.S. National Inpatient Sample- gout was associated with 9-20% higher healthcare utilization and 6% higher hazard of transfusion after primary hip replacement surgery. https://buff.ly/2U8wvwu
- Does Seropositivity Change with Therapy?
- Smoking Doesn't Influence Rituximab Responses in Rheumatoid Arthritis