You are here
Dr. Jack Cush reviews new journal articles, news reports, and more from the past week on RheumNow.com.
- MMWR reports SCURVY outbreak in the Sudanese; NOTE this also occurs where you live, especially in young people with Horrible, monotonous diets. Sxs include arthralgias, lethargy, fatigue, gingival pain/bleeding, hyperkeratotic skin changes, chest pain https://t.co/v41LdnheOu
- 17.2% of 576 autoimmune pts had Mechanic hands: 50% MCTD; 35% DM; 15% PSS; 15% of UCTD; 14% Sjogren’s; NO SLE pts. 81% Mechanic+ had abnl capillaroscopy. DM w/ Mechanics had more Raynauds, Jo-1+ & abnl capillaroscopy https://t.co/igdTHUYmSj
- UK pts w/ hemochromatosis homozygous for HFE p.C282Y finds men 40-70 w/ incr risk of Hemochr Dx, (OR 411), liver Dz (4.3), RA (2.23), OA (2.01) & DM (1.53). Heterozygotes w/ hemochromatosis was more common but morbidity was modest. https://t.co/8NyRRJGqTl
- Comparison of 187 RA and 157 without inflammatory joint dz, shows a significant association between periodontitis and RA (adjusted OR = 20.57). Periodontitis severity was significantly associated with RA disease activity (p < 0.001) https://t.co/Bmv2LKRnYz
- 2014-2015 study of 750K from Southern Sweden shows 24% of OA patients used opioids (2 fold higher than those without knee or hip OA).
- 101 kids w/ Takayasus finds 3% mortality in Yr 1, 50% morbidity in 5 yrs. Median onset was 14 yrs, 76%F. Sxs include HTN (70%), BP discrep(55%), bruits (52%), pulse deficits (38%). Artery Inv: Renal (62%), aorta (43%), subclavian (44%), carotid (43%). https://t.co/nXdjLviRyk
- No Difference in Oral or IV Antibiotics for Bone & Joint Infections
- Low IBD Risk with Secukinumab
- Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty Shown to Be Ineffective
- Update on Pregnancy Management in RA