You are here
By Jack Cush, MD | 02 September 2016
Dr. Jack Cush reviews highlights from this week in RheumNow:
- Amgen releases results of 12 mo RCT of denosumab vs risedronate in steroid Rx pts - Prolia had twice increase in BMD https://t.co/Et8jj40Keg
- FDA adds "Boxed Warning" to opiates & benzodiazepines (n=389) listing sleepiness, respiratory depression, coma and death https://t.co/olfszGus6S
- In the Last 10 yrs in Ireland, hospitalizations and surgery for RA were cut half, MTX use tripled and TNFi prescriptions were up 4900%. https://t.co/KUVhvqxgsc https://t.co/lc46pEHKZ5
- Canadian data same as US; #RA hosp. cut in half while #Gout hospitalizations have doubled https://t.co/qVnEAvN538 https://t.co/KFOpKxEPd3
- RA Care costs unchanged from 1998 to 2006. Outpt increased, hosp. decreased, Drug cost higher, but fewer sick days https://t.co/G1UkMk5S56
- Drug retention rates are same between elderly and younger RA pts on TNFi. D/C for AE in old and efficacy in young. https://t.co/ZPXlXvVpTS
- Dr. Langford: VTE is increased risk with active GPA, MPA or EGPA. However no current evidence attesting to need for automatic anticoagulation.
- Bactrim prophylaxis against pneumocystis should be given to all AAV pts during induction while receiving CTX or RTX therapy
- Dr. Langford: Bactrim (TMP/SMX) may be used for isolated upper airway disease; never used alone for severe GPA disease (eg, glomerulonephritis)
- Dr. Langford: after remission (w/ CTX or RTX), RTX can be used for maintenance w/ low risk of relapse
- Dr Carol Langford Gr Rounds - ANCA levels do NOT correlate well with disease activity and should not be used to guide therapy
- Flares Portend Damage in Rheumatoid Arthritis - Time for a New Strategy?
- Cost of Osteoporosis Care in the USA
- FDA Approves Updated Denosumab Warnings
- Nailfold Capillaroscopy Excludes Scleroderma in Raynaud’s.