Friday, 20 Sep 2019

You are here

Sjogrens Syndrome and Familial Risk

A population based study from Taiwan shows that Sjogren's syndrome, to have a prevalence of 0.05%. The prevalence of the syndrome, however, was 10 times higher among women (0.10%) compared to men (0.01%). Overall, having an affected first-degree relative with Sjogren's syndrome carried an adjusted relative risk (RR) of 12.37 (95% CI: 9.54-16.05) for the disease, the RR being 13.24 higher (95% CI: 10.15-17.27) for an affected female relative compared to a RR of 10.06 (95% CI: 4.91-20.61) for affected male relatives.

Disclosures: 
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose related to this subject

Add new comment

More Like This

Sensitivity of Temporal Artery Biopsy

Metanalysis shows that temporal artery biopsy (TAB) for the diagnosis of giant cell arteritis (GCA) has a sensitivity of 77%, similar to results seen with temporal artery imaging. These data suggest clinicians may be willing to accept a GCA diagnosis without proof by TAB.

FDA Grants Breakthrough Status for Potential Lupus Nephritis Drug

Obinutuzumab (Gazyva) has been granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation (BTD) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in adults with lupus nephritis (LN). The drug made by Genentech, is going forward based on the Phase II NOBILITY study in adult patients with proliferative lupus nephritis (LN). Currently, there are no FDA-approved medicines for lupus nephritis.

Riociguat Fails in Systemic Sclerosis-Associated Digital Ulcers

Riociguat is an oral, selective soluble guanylate cyclase stimulator that has been studied in patients with digital ulcers (DU) due to systemic sclerosis (SSc) but study results show that short term (16 weeks) riociquat therapy does not sufficiently reduce the DU burden in SSc patients.

Nintedanib FDA Approved for Scleroderma Lung Disease

Last Friday, the US Food and Drug Administration approved Ofev (nintedanib) to slow the rate of decline in pulmonary function in adults with interstitial lung disease associated with systemic sclerosis or scleroderma, called SSc-ILD. ILD as a complication of SSc may lead to progressive loss of lung function and may be associated with a significant mortality risk. Prior to the approval of Olev, there were no FDA approved drugs for SSc-ILD.

With Autoimmunity, Checkpoint Inhibitors Can Be Used

Among patients with pre-existing autoimmune diseases who developed cancer and were treated with immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICI), flares of the underlying disease and other immune-related adverse events were common, a retrospective study conducted in France showed.