You are here
By Jack Cush, MD | 04 March 2016
Highlights from this week on RheumNow:
- Urinary biomarkers effective in RA monitoring- gelsolin, ORM1, ORM2 soluble CD14 predict Xrays
- Prior hx of Cancer in IBD patients does not preclude the use of TNF inhibitors.
- POOR SLEEP: the under-recognized cause of 1) fatigue; 2) poor memory; 3) widespread pain; 4) frequent headaches; 5) numbness & dysesthesias
- Temporal arteritis predictive factors in 228 Temp Art Bx study: Headache, high ESR, jaw claudication, thrombocytosis
- Post. reversible encephalopathy (PRES) is rare in #SLE. ^Risk w/ HTN, CRI, Dz activity, lymphopenia, ^Lipids, youth
- Limited experience w/ Actemra exposed 61 pregnancies- no congenital anomaly, 36 births, 18% Spont Ab, 5 low birth Wt
- Monarticular brucellosis: SI in young, shoulder in old; Knee, ankle, wrist benign. SI, hip, shoulder more severe dz
- Diabolical Negativism & the negative narrator in your head - How to manage patients who worry, wont do what's Rx
- CDC reports current flu vaccine is 59% effective & should still be promoted. Flu season began late this year.
- Pfizer reveals approval & availability of once daily Xeljanz 11mg qd (=5mg bid) w/ same indications, use & monitor
- Canadian study of 56K RA pts found 37 TB & 211 NTM infxns. Risk increased w/ TNFi, Arava, Pred, CTX, AZA, CyA, MMF.
- FDA has launch a CME course on biosimilars - reviews law, terminology, FDA approach to biosimilars – see the Feb 22nd tweet to find this link
- Intraarticular Steroids Before Joint Surgery Increase Infection Risk
- Methotrexate Safety with Chronic Hepatitis B Infection
- TNF Inhibition and Heart Failure
- Early Aggressive Treatment of Elderly RA Results in Less Joint Surgery
- Tools, Brains & Organizers for Your Phone
- Zika Virus May Cause Guillain-Barré Syndrome