You are here
By Jack Cush, MD | 06 January 2017
Dr. Jack Cush reviews highlights from the first week of 2017 on RheumNow.com.
Happy New Year!
- RheumNow celebrates its 4000th Anniversary Tweet! It all started with the goal to share a pearl, study result, or the answer to test question. Wisdom prevails!
- Among 40,000 Dutch, 1% had ACPA+; 22% had RA. ACPA associated with being older, female, joint symptoms, smoking, RA, relatives of RA. https://t.co/8HuCE3XOtU
- Big decline in 2016 new drug approvals; 22/2016, (45/2015, 41/2014); 9 were for orphan drugs; 8 were firs in class, the number of new filings is unchanged. (No new drugs for arthritis or Rheumatology. These do not include 3 new TNF biosimilars) https://t.co/ssoGcVqtAF
- TNF inhibitor survival in 2687 Finnish patients - 27% discontinue TNFi in 12 mos. Worse with CZP & Remicade, better with combo MTX https://t.co/13vJxWGWCs
- Decline in chemokine CXCL4 in MMF Treated patients with improved ILD & scleroderma - epiphenomenal or pathogenic? https://t.co/z9U4FYCHLN
- NICE recommends apremilast for use in psoriatic arthritis within UK NHS. Risk of suidical ideation is only 0.2% (3/1441). https://t.co/ZFDSo3B81u
- NY Times article says Acthar is "single most expensive drug per patient" costing Medicare $16,2371 per patientst for 3100 Medicare patients treated with Acthar. https://t.co/cskPO7OM1E
- CDC Grand Rounds on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (AKA Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) (ME/CFS) fails to recognize Fibromyalgia as same disease. https://t.co/jem0QpMNxT
- Systematic review of >1000 IBD pts treated with biosimilar CT-P13 vs Remicade shows no difference in efficacy, safety, ADAbs https://t.co/BElV5shX03
- CDC confirms current influenza vaccines correctly cover strains seen thus far in 2016 and for 2017. Also these strains are senstive to available antiviral Rx (eg, Tamiflu). https://t.co/afag7dq524
- Hospira (biosimilar division of Pfizer) began to ship its Inflectra biosimilar to U.S. wholesalers on Nov. 21 & has a sales force in place
- Iron deficiency anemia associated with a 2 fold increased risk of sensorineural hearing loss. IDA & SNHL is found in 1.6% of the population. https://t.co/RT77Sjkc4O
- Myriad faces loss of Medicare pay for RA VECTRA-DA test, based on recent CMS report. The test is still available. https://t.co/YBx3BqVKeQ
- Incident RA prevalence = 0.63%; 2/3 are treated with a DMARD; but 28% were not. How many have never seen a rheumatologist? 38% @1yr & 15% @2yr never seen by Rheumatologist https://t.co/haqDyRAxCN
- Weight loss improves Psoriasis.
- Pregnancy Outcomes in Psoriatic Arthritis.
- Biopsy Proven Renal Involvement in Sjogren's Syndrome.
- Modest Benefits with Intraarticular Corticosteroids in Knee Osteoarthritis
- PPI Safety Issues
- A Low Risk of Inflammatory Bowel Disease with IL-17 Inhibition
- CHMP Recommend Baricitinib for Approval in Europe
- A Link Between Periodontal Disease and Rheumatoid Arthritis