RheumNow Week in Review – 13 May 2016 Save
Dr. Cush reviews highlights from this week on RheumNow.com.
- Retrospective study from Brigham shows adverse SLE pregnancy outcomes associated with nephritis, cytopenia, or serositis during pregnancy.
- French ORA registry of 976 RA patients on Abatacept shows that the risk of serious infection is predicted by advancing age & prior history of Serious Infectious Events
- The "Chewing Gum Test" confirms active GCA by inducing jaw claudication within 3 minutes of 1 chew per second
- Population (34K) based Taiwan study shows gout assoc w/ higher risk of depression; that is normalized w/ pred or ULT
- Survey of PCPs & house officers show disparate practices in gout Dx & Rx - esp w/ colchicine, ULT use & monitoring
- Review of Elderly RA pts on TNFi & Biologics show equal efficacy and safety, but age addes to serious infection risk
- Curbside Consults - May 2016 reviews management of rheumatoid arthritis patients with melanoma in situ, or high liver enzymes or interstitial lung disease
- Scleroderma Digital Ulcers Fail to Respond to Endothelin Antagonist.
- faSScinate Study Shows Tocilizumab to be potentially effective in Systemic Sclerosis
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose related to this subject