Skip to main content

Blogs

The Brooklyn HAQ

The Health Assessment Questionnaire is a utilitarian outcome measure, often used in clinical trials and daily practice. Unless you’re still prescribing penacillamine, never attended an ACR meeting, and never read an RA clinical trial, you’re quite familiar with the HAQ and its use in practice. So, surely you’ve heard of the “Brooklyn HAQ”?

I Got a Hug Today

It was at the end of the visit with the patient I've only seen three or four times for her osteoarthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and back pain. 

Take the Patient's Call

I recognized the tone in his voice. I recognized the clipped words and the unmistakable undertone of bother and dismay. I recognized them because I have had the same tone, the same clipped speech and latent frustration in my voice: and now I was on the receiving end of this undercurrent of impatience. It took my recent stint as a patient to make me realize how important the call from the patient can be.

Morning Stiffness Madness

Rheumatologists distinguish themselves from their medical colleagues in several ways: exceptional joint exam and joint injection skills, interpretation of complex immunologic findings and cost-efficient ways of managing common musculoskeletal disorders. But what’s the one trait, skill or question that defines the acumen of the rheumatologist? Please don’t say morning stiffness. 

Why My Patients Sit Where They Sit

Where do your patients sit? Have you noticed they don't usually sit where you expect them to? What's up with that, and is there a psychology behind one's choice of seating? This curious observation may portend the nature of the physician-patient relationship or, at the very least, impact the layout of your next clinic.

Diabolical Negativism

Our inner thoughts are usually negative, critical or pessimistic. Negative thinking is ubiquitous, and may be responsible for indecision or ill-choices.  How to identify it and deal with it in patient care is an unsavory challenge often left undone.

5 Mistakes When Diagnosing Adult-Onset Still’s Disease (Best of 2015: #10)

Adult-onset Still's posses a interestng and diagnostic challeng when encountered. Here are 5 tips to improve your diagnostic acumen for this febrile disorder.

The Ill-Conceived Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia

Notalgia, Lyme disease in Texas and still wearing your hospital ID bracelet? You may have been misdiagnosed and instead have fibromyalgia!

Building a Better Rheumatologist

Are you efficient, productive and accurate in what you do?  Could you be better? Or do the job differently?

Jiffy Joint and Rheumatology Retail Clinics

The American College of Physicians issued a position statement about medical clinics popping up inside of retail establishments and pharmacies. For years now I’ve schemed of starting a national chain of “Jiffy Joints”. Is it time?

Hydrocodone: Then and Now

Today marks the one year anniversary of hydrocodone becoming a schedule II drug with more restrictive access. Has life been better under these new rules?

Top 5 and Bottom 5 Clinic Tools

Rheums do not live by wits and cytokine blockers alone. We need tools, equipment and material goods to be the diagnostician, communicator, and technical wizards that triple-threat rheumatologists propound to be. Not long ago I ranked my top and bottom 5 joints. Now we tackle the most and least important tools of the trade in rheumatology.

Marketing 101

Why let your practice mix grow according to word-of-mouth, preferred provider listings and beauty parlor gossip?  Be all you can be with a marketing plan for your practice and career.

Time to Listen

Every physician struggles with time and listening. Modern medicine infringes on both of these - and they may be the most humanistic things a physician can give.

How do you handle questions about sex?

I had just finished going over the prognosis and treatment plan with my newly diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis patient. I asked if she had any questions for me. She did. 

×