Predicting Inpatient Gout Flares Save
Analysis of New Zealand hospitalized patients revals nine predictors of inpatient flare for people with comorbid gout.
This retrospective cohort study of hospitalised patients with comorbid gout included 625 hospitalised patients, 87 experienced inpatient gout flare.
There were 9 predictors of an inpatient gout flare:
- pre-admission urate >0.36 mmol/L
- no pre-admission urate-lowering therapy (ULT)
- no pre-admission gout prophylaxis
- acute kidney injury
- initiation or increase of gout prophylaxis
- adjustment of ULT and diuretics prior to flare
These predictors are supported by known gout risk factors and were chosen for their simplicity and practicality.