The Week in Review - 1 April 2016 Save
Highlights from this week on RheumNow.com
- Analysis of 137 PM/DM Rx withtacrolimus showed decrease in CPK (100%), strength (93%), function (65%), and Prednisone use (34-11mg/d)
- After prescribing a biologic, 46% fill the Rx within 30 days; 16% fill the Rx within 1-6 mos & 39% dont fill Rx at all. Predictors of Early fillers include younger age
- 2011 there are 10 million (8mill women, 2 mill men) in the United States with osteoporosis. It is estimated that by 2021 this will be 14 million & $4 billion market
- Incidence of Herpes Zoster (shingles) for RA & SLE pts ≥40 yrs is 1.5-2 times higher than gen pop (8.5/1000)
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica: An Interval Look at Management Questions – Researchers from the Mayo Clinic provide and update to the diagnosis, imaging and treatment of PMR.
- Time for a Paradigm Change in Rheumatoid Arthritis – Dr. Jack Cush suggests we need a new paradigm to better manage RA and avoid the delays in DMARD changes when needed.
- Smoking and Rheumatoid Arthritis – Dr. Janet Pope reviews this association and the role rheumatologists need to take.
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose related to this subject