Skip to main content

Blogs

Do You Have to be Overweight for GLP-1s to Work?

Are there any data that GLP-1 RA drugs can be effective if a person has a normal BMI? 

Obesity in Rheumatic Diseases: More than just a Comorbidity

A few years ago, when I would see a patient with rheumatic disease and increased BMI, I would often document it as obesity as a comorbidity, recommend weight loss and exercise, and then move on. My approach has changed.

Obesity and Lupus: Coconspirator or Comorbidity?

Dr. Al Kim, St. Louis, discusses the effects of obesity on lupus activity, organ damage, complement levels and mTor activation.

ICYMI: Autoantibodies Anonymous

At first, it seemed similar to many other such sessions – a circle of folding chairs, a group of colleagues whose visages exuded understanding and acceptance – but this was special. I started the meeting…. “Hi, my name is Artie.”

Gout

Dr. Jack Cush reviews Gout in this continuing series for Advanced Practice Rheum. Review the companion slide deck here.

Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

Dr. Cush reviews systemic lupus erythematosus.

Autoantibodies Anonymous

At first, it seemed similar to many other such sessions – a circle of folding chairs, a group of colleagues whose visages exuded understanding and acceptance – but this was special. I started the meeting…. “Hi, my name is Artie.”

Difficult to Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Dr. Cush addresses the management of difficult-to-treat rheumatoid arthritis (D2TRA).

Methotrexate

In this session, Dr. Jack Cush reviews methotrexate.

CNS Lupus (NPSLE)

29 yr. old woman with SLE and transverse myelitis. Is this NPSLE; how to diagnose?

Hydroxychloroquine for Everyone

Nearly 25 years ago, while lecturing on best therapies for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), I loudly stated that hydroxychloroquine was “useless” and, deservedly, I was “boo-ed” off stage. My point then was that rheumatologists needed to be aggressive, if not overly aggressive, in treating all RA patients. And my view was that HCQ was representative of under-treatment. I have reconsidered the use of HCQ in RA substantially in the last few years, based on its merit.

Overlap Syndrome with ILD

How would you manage a patient with Overlap (anti-synthetase) syndrome, ILD, polyarthritis and myositis?

Best of 2023: New ACR RA-ILD Treatment Guidelines – What Were They Smoking!?

Rheumatoid arthritis related interstitial lung disease (RA-ILD) is common, with symptomatic RA-ILD affecting approximately 8% of RA patients. There is a very limited evidence base supporting treatment and therefore the recent release of ACR guidelines is to be welcomed. However, the published guidelines appear discordant with the best available evidence base. 

Choice Overload (and the Way Out)

I recently overheard a very good practicing rheumatologist complain, “why do I need yet another drug for psoriatic arthritis? I have more treatment choices than I have actual PsA patients who need a new or better drug”.

Using Methotrexate in PMR

Treatment of PMR is still largely based on glucocorticoids. Where in other inflammatory rheumatic disorders, such as RA and PsA, early initiation of methotrexate is common practice, this is not the case in PMR. 
×