Skip to main content

Blogs

Treatment for Obesity and Inflammation, but at what Cost?

The costs of GLP-1 agonists must come down in order to make these treatments available to the people who need them - including many people with rheumatologic diseases. 

Good Grief

When it rains it pours, but when it comes to grief, it’s like the rains that just won't let up.

Just too many deaths this past month. All devastating, all my immediate sphere. All hard to fathom. How can something so inevitable be a recurring, unwelcome, unsolvable bad dream?

Obesity in Rheumatic Diseases: More than just a Comorbidity

A few years ago, when I would see a patient with rheumatic disease and increased BMI, I would often document it as obesity as a comorbidity, recommend weight loss and exercise, and then move on. My approach has changed.

Obesity and Lupus: Coconspirator or Comorbidity?

Dr. Al Kim, St. Louis, discusses the effects of obesity on lupus activity, organ damage, complement levels and mTor activation.

ICYMI: Autoantibodies Anonymous

At first, it seemed similar to many other such sessions – a circle of folding chairs, a group of colleagues whose visages exuded understanding and acceptance – but this was special. I started the meeting…. “Hi, my name is Artie.”

Safety of Biologics and Novel Agents

Dr. Jack Cush reviews safety of biologics and novel agents.

Still's Disease and Fever

Dr. Jack Cush reviews Still's disease and fevers.

Autoantibodies Anonymous

At first, it seemed similar to many other such sessions – a circle of folding chairs, a group of colleagues whose visages exuded understanding and acceptance – but this was special. I started the meeting…. “Hi, my name is Artie.”

Difficult to Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Dr. Cush addresses the management of difficult-to-treat rheumatoid arthritis (D2TRA).

Methotrexate

In this session, Dr. Jack Cush reviews methotrexate.

Evaluation of Rheumatic Complaints

Dr. Cush provides a systematic approach to evaluating musculoskeletal and rheumatic complaints in clinical practice.

The War Rheum

The effects on rheumatologists and their patients living in Ukraine largely have been unseen by the world. At ACR Convergence 2024, I met Dr. Marta Dzhus who practices at St. Michael's Clinical Hospital in Kyiv; she shared her story with me about the humanitarian crisis in rheumatologic care in Ukraine because of the ongoing war. Here is an excerpt of our conversation.

Overlap Syndrome with ILD

How would you manage a patient with Overlap (anti-synthetase) syndrome, ILD, polyarthritis and myositis?

Gangsin: 갱신 Korean: refresh, renew, updated

Remaining status quo requires less effort than making a change. Over the last 20+ years, I have listened to thousands of patients confide their personal stories. Some remained paralyzed in their current state of distress, fearing new situations may be worse. I was one of them, until recently. In this final blog of my trilogy on self-discovery, I reveal my new life.

Karoshi - {Japanese  過労死: Death by Being Overworked}

Over the last few decades, Japanese workers were collapsing dead at their desks or committing suicide due to the high stress stemming from their jobs; Japan coined this phenomenon, “Karoshi.” In 2021, the World Health Organization and International Labour Organization issued a warning:  working 55+ hours a week is a serious health hazard and increases the risk for death from heart disease and stroke. But since the pandemic, I see many colleagues working hard at the expense of their health, family life, mental and emotional well-being. I never thought I would be burned out because I had passion for my job.
×