The RheumNow Week in Review – 9 September 2016 Save
Dr. Jack Cush reviews highlight in news and journal reports from this week on RheumNow.com
- Inflammatory bowel disease patients Rx with TNF inhibitors have no higher risk of renal cell carcinoma; OR 0.8 (0.3-2.5) men & 1.4 (0.2-5.5) women. http://buff.ly/2cah6WO
- Fracture nonunion (~5%) risk increased by RA, OA, diabetes, NSAIDs, opioids, anticoagulants, and anticonvulsants. https://t.co/XA7EV31Qh9
- In new onset PMR, women report worse general and PMR-specific health problems than men; HAQ, fatigue, sleep, anxiety, depression, etc. https://t.co/WYW7QgG9QP
- Frequency of IgA Vasculitis in kids has significantly declined between 2003-2012. G I & renal Sxs associated with longer hospital stays. https://t.co/PH3IB1MZNK
- Dalbeth cautions about Rx asymptomatic hyperuricemia with urate lowering therapy; such patients may be at higher risk of allopurinol toxicity https://t.co/pWcP6wI7ea
- Subset of primary Sjogrens patients (27%) have anti-CarP Abs that correlate with RF & greater severity (higher focus score) https://t.co/My4vzCWO3d
- EU grants approval for Orencia (abatacept; IV or SC) for MTX naive (early) RA patients with moderate-severe disease https://t.co/gcGbESdxCp
- 63% of RA patients have some MTX toxicity; 22% its moderate-severe. Giving Caffeine at time of MTX (coffee, Dark chocolate) showed 55% improvedment! https://t.co/YegVkoODoF
- TNFi induced sardoidosis; 90 cases of sarcoidosis ascribed to TNF inhibitor Rx reviewed, most with Enbrel; 71 resolved with discontinuation. https://t.co/cBxP4KX9L7
- 30% of Biologics us is monotherapy. Choy et al reviews comparative success, reasons, pitfalls of biologic monotherapy https://t.co/UAtLKQbxx7
- P. Gingivalis Antibodies Antedate Rheumatoid Arthritis Onset.
- Shingles Plus Autoimmune Disease Hikes Stroke Risk by 36-76%.
- Karolinska Scandal May Undermine the Nobel Prize.
- Is Biologic Safety Different in the Elderly?
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose related to this subject