The RheumNow Week in Review - 8 December 2017 Save
Dr. Jack Cush covers the news and journal articles published on RheumNow.comin the past week.
- Systematic review of ULT discontinuation - 5 studies shows that ULT D/C has good short term outcomes (esp if SUA is low) but delayed relapse rates occcuring 1-4.5 yrs later - more in gout (36-81%), less w/ urolithiasis (15%). https://t.co/RTIwuH154S
- Prospective study of 133 IBD pts (64% CD, 36% UC) switched from Remicade to biosimilar Inflectra. After 12 mos. no differences in drug levels, disease activity between innovator and biosimilar. https://t.co/QEH3lUaXD4
- FDA grants orphan drug designation to SER-287 a microbiome drug to treat dysbiosis of pediatric ulcerative colitis. Will microbiome targeted therapies be the next (safe) best thing? https://t.co/PmOLeyLyy3
- Patients with autoimmune connective tissue diseases (CTDs) undergoing abdominoplasty are at higher risk for certain complications (hematomas, venous thromboembolism, need for transfustions and longer hospital stays) https://t.co/AXLKNg0ag2
- Coffee consumption (3-4cups/day) assoc w/ 17% reduction in all cause mortality, 19% for CV mortality, 18% lower Cancer risk; but in pregnancy, high versus low/no consumption was associated with 30% increase in low birth weight and pregnancy loss (OR 1.46). https://buff.ly/2iNa7M0
- TWO simple tests to diagnose #Fibromyalgia in primary care: 1) for tenderness to digital pressure at 10 body sites; 2) single question, “I have a persistent deepaching over most of my body” (0–10) https://buff.ly/2iIx03s
- 2005-20014 - prevalence of one comorbidity assoc w/ pregnancy & delivery increased 50% (66.9 to 91.8 per 1,000 delivery hosp.) in the USA. The frequency of multiple chronic conditions doubled ( 4.7 to 8.1/1000 delivery) during this sameperiod. https://buff.ly/2iNuDMx
- Infliximab Does Not Increase Perioperative Infection
- Ixekizumab (Taltz) FDA Approved for Psoriatic Arthritis
- Do JAK Inhibitors Increase the Risk of Venous Thromboembolic Events?
- Why TNF Inhibitors May Work in Some Autoinflammatory Patients
The author has received compensation as an advisor or consultant on this subject