RheumNow Week in Review – 15 July 2016 Save
Dr. Jack Cush reviews highlights from this week's rheumatology news on RheumNow.com.
- FDA Approves Xiidra (Lifitegrast), an LFA-1 agonits for Dry Eyes.
- FDA Arthritis Advisory Committee Votes 26-0 to Recommend Approval of Adalimumab Biosimilar (Amgens ABP-501).
- Sandoz Etanercept Biosimilar (GP-2015) Unanimously (20-0) Voted for Approval by FDA Arthritis Advisory Committee.
- FDA Says Cryotherapy, not approved, lacks evidence and poses risks. http://rheumnow.com/content/fda-says-cryotherapy-lacks-evidence-poses-risks
- Vagal Stimulation Decreases Proinflammatory Cytokine Production and Rheumatoid Disease Activity.
- Lupus panniculitis appears as indurated nodules/plaques with lipoatrophy, usually over the proximal extremities & trunk. Important to get a deep Biopsy. Usual treatments include hydroxychloroquine, steroid, dapsone, others reviewed. https://t.co/CJ5uJHxtcF
- In 428 SpA pts, BMI (obesity) had no effect on ASDAS. BMI weakly correlates with CRP, other PRO's. https://t.co/FcTfEicYpN
- Small study of Bactrim in GPA (Wegeners) shows 25% relapse w/ continued Rx vs 45% relapse with Bactrim withdrawal. https://t.co/IQksnzI5mk
- German RABBIT registry study >13K pts shows an increased risk of lower GI perforations with Actemra (2.7/1000PY), with a four fold higher risk than other therapys. Nearly 25% of such patients died. https://t.co/u9A4TRFMso
- Prevalence of gout increasing in EU from 1.7% to 2.5%; in the US to 4%. Gout is becoming epidemic. https://t.co/zSSRbTId73
- 100k German RA compared to 500k controls: RA patients were vaccinated more; but more pneumonia hospitalizations were seen in regions with low or no vaccination https://t.co/HxOIIOf0rP
- 234 RA patients treated with Rituxan for a mean of 28 mos. Showed a retention rate of 57%. Discontinuatoins were associated with higher age, greater swollen joint counts, lack of concomitant MTX use. https://t.co/QRLR9mgP84
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose related to this subject