ACR21 Best Abstracts - Day 1 Save
The RheumNow faculty have been glued to their monitors all day, watching video, and running down abstract presentations to find the best – several of these stood out as #ACRBests. Here is a listing of “Best” they saw on Day 1.
- SARS-CoV-2 Infection and COVID-19 Outcomes in Rheumatic Disease: A Systematic Literature Review – a m eta-analysis shows that people with rheumatic disease are at risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection and mortality from COVID-19. Abstract# 0086
- DESIRES study. Safety and Efficacy of Rituximab for Systemic Sclerosis: A Double-Blind, Parallel-Group Comparison, Investigators Initiated Confirmatory Randomized Clinical Trial – a DB RCT in systemic sclerosis showing significant benefit of Rituximab on Rodnan skin score and FVC! Abstract# 0496
- Functional Connectivity, Enhanced Blood-Brain Barrier Leakage and Cognitive Impairment in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus - Neurocognitive impairment lined to leaky blood brain barrier. Plenary Abstract# 0457
- COVaRiPAD study. Immunosuppression Attenuates Antibody and Neutralization Titers in Patients with Chronic Inflammatory Disease Following SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination. Patients with chronic inflammatory diseases on immunosuppression have impaired #SARSCoV2 immunity post-vaccine. Seroconversion most affected by MMF & B cell depletion and steroids.
- Axial Spondyloarthritis and Its Related Immune-Mediated Diseases Share a Gut Microbiome Signature - AxSpA pts share a gut microbiome signature with Crohn's disease and anterior uveitis Abstract# 0062
- Sick Leave and Its Predictors in Early Axial Spondyloarthritis: The Role of Clinical and Socioeconomic Factors. Five-year Data from the DESIR Cohort. Abstract# 0380
- Dose Tapering of TNF Inhibitors in Patients with Axial Spondyloarthritis in Routine Care – 2-year Clinical and MRI Outcomes and Predictors of Successful Tapering - Danish axSpA study shows pts in remission on TNFi may be able to taper and remain in remission at the 2 year mark. Abstract# 0364
- High Frequency of Complications in Axial Spondyloarthropathy Pregnancies: Emerging Data from the Ankylosing Spondylitis Registry of Ireland Abstract# 0369
- Association of Numeracy with Medication Non-Adherence in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Numeracy (i.e. low math literacy) had lower self-reported adherence but paradoxically higher objective adherence in Lupus. abstract# 0131
- Macrophage Activating Syndrome in Patients with Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Treated with Biological Drugs - retrospective multicenter study 147 pts-22% developed MAS, several with multiple attacks per patient. Abstract# 0246
- Disease Activity and Inflammation in Axial Spondyloarthritis Patients Who Did Not Experience Flares Following Certolizumab Pegol Withdrawal, Dose Reduction or Dose Continuation. Abstract# 0916
- Efficacy and Safety of Risankizumab for Active Psoriatic Arthritis - RZB resulted in statistically greater improvements in signs/ symptoms of PsA vs PBO and was well tolerated w/ no new safety signals. Plenary Abstract# 0453
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose related to this subject