RheumNow Podcast – Women Take Over Rheumatology (10.4.19) Save
Dr. Jack Cush reviews the News and Journal Reports from this week on RheumNow.com.
- Might Vioxx make a backdoor comeback? 2017 Vioxx went off patent, now a small pharma has applied to the FDA for orphan drug approval of rofecoxib (& etoricoxib) to treat hemophiliac arthropathy (large unmet need). Say it aint so! http://bit.ly/2p3HSM5 http://bit.ly/2nulYRz
- Choi and colleagues have shown that allopurinol-associated severe cutaneous adverse reactions are higher with Heart (RR 1.44) and Renal (11 fold) disease. Initating low-dosage allopurinol may substantially mitigate this risk. http://bit.ly/30FyzyN
- MotherToBaby Pregnancy Study in 528 RA pts has shown oral steroid use yields a dose dependent risk of pre-term birth. PTB was increased high dose (RR: 4.77) and medium dose (aRR: 1.81) OCS in the 1st 139 gestational days; DMARDs/biologics were not https://t.co/cuggovK8eL
- Kaiser study of 1956 SLE patients shows only 58% of were adherent (≥ 80%) to hydroxychloroquine; not predicted by the Rheum, hospital or socioeconomics. Risk factors for nonadherence included age, being white, # of Rheum visits/yr. https://t.co/qRdJRGvRAr
- Retrospective claims study shows that higher ACPA and RF titers were independently associated with 60-78% increased mortality in established RA; the association persisted in when Rx with DMARDs, but not with biologics. https://t.co/hHJx4alNIQ
- Study of 101 RA pts w/ baseline Cardiac CT; after median of 83 mos, 48% had progression of plaque; predicted by older age, inflammation & prednisone (phttps://t.co/hJRhfja0yk
- TIF1-γ antibodies may be associated with dermatomyositis and are found in between 13 – 31% of adults and 22 – 29% of children. TIF1-γ antibodies have a strong association with malignancy, esp in patients over the age of 39. https://t.co/0o2VfNwbZC
- Increasingly Women are Choosing Subspecialty Careers
- Ixekizumab vs. Adalimumab in Psoriatic Arthritis
- Anakinra Use in Hospitalized Gout Patients
- Survey for Rheumatologists - You would use an MRI in an RA to assess what?
The author has received compensation as an advisor or consultant on this subject