Indications Awaiting (12.17.21) Save
There's good news and bad news in rheumatology fellowship matching for 2022. There's also new FDA approvals and indications, but a new serious safety warning has arisen from the CDC about the J&J COVID-19 vaccine.
Dr. Jack Cush reviews the latest news, journal reports, regulatory approvals, plus 3 new cases from rheumatologists.
- NRMP has released match results for adult Rheumatology programs. From a total of 125 programs, 120 filled & 98% of Rheum slots (266/272) filled. Rheum was one of few to fill >95% slots (also Allergy, cardiology, Endo, GI, Hem/Onc, Pulm/Critical Care https://t.co/7ASNKwB4ZS
- NRMP announced match results for Pediatrics & Specialties. Unfortunately 31% of positions are unfilled (40% programs unfilled). We need more Pediatric Rheumatologists!!! https://t.co/s0zPL7QhIG
- RESTORE trial: yet another failure for PRP injections for knee #OA. Study of 288 Knee oA over 50 years - knee pain scores of −2.1 vs −1.8 on an 11-point scale (range, 0-10) and no difference between PRP and PBO at 12 mos https://bit.ly/3dZ5ebW
- CV mortality with infection & inflammation studied using CDC database; From 1999 to 2018 CV mortality decreased in general population (40.9 to 30.6%) but increased w/ HCV (7.0 -10.2%) & HIV (1.9 to 6.7%); decreased in plateaud in IBD, PSO, RA, and SLE https://go.nature.com/3meusHw
- Telemedicine? Surveys (patients=1340, MD=111) & interviews (pts= 31, MD= 29) April 2021 and July 2021. Results suggest pts and MDs prefer F2F over Telemedicine almost all categories. Some negatives may be due to the pandemic
- Cochrane analysis of NSAIDs in acute #Gout - 28 trials, 3406 pts showed: - NSAIDs > PBO 50% pain reduction @24hrs, but = to PBO for AEs & W/D - nonselective NSAIDs = COX-2 inhib, but former has more AE & WD - PRED - NSAIDS, but pred has more AE & WD https://t.co/AemfID4RLN
- Study of 408 men with inflammatory arthritis fathered 897 singleton pregnancies with 794 live births. Pregnancies conceived after the diagnosis of IA had higher rate of miscarriage (12.3 vs 7.5%, p = <0.05), even after adjusting for confounders (OR 2.03) https://t.co/Nq2lP0SXTL
- Increased risk death in 310 scleroderma pts: 63 diffuse SSc, 279 limited dz & 33 sine scleroderma (SMR = 1.88). Reduced survival at 10 yrs (78%) & 15 yrs(61%). 69 deaths, 46% in diffuse PSS - due to ILD, PHA, and GI involvement https://t.co/w300etSls2
- NYC Hosp for Special Surgery is the 1st to use a "smart" knee arthroplasty - TKR with a smart sensor capable of monitoring steps, speed, range of motion & other knee functions fed back to the orthopedist = called Persona IQ, FDA authorized https://t.co/QR49JC7oCz
- Fibromyalgia pts are prone to suicidal ideation (29.6%; OR 9.1), attempts (5.7%; OR 3.1), & events (OR 1.38), but significance lost when correcting for psych illness. Risk assoc w/ work, dz severity, obesity, addiction, chronic pain & co-morbidities. https://t.co/jjiZ5iZBjP
- SOBI has received a positive opinion by the EMA's CHMP on Kineret (anakinra) for the treatment of COVID-19 in adult patients with pneumonia requiring supplemental oxygen or at risk for progressing to severe respiratory failure. Final approval pending https://t.co/1bJYae38hw
- BMS announced today that Orencia as 1st FDA approved drug to prevent acute graft versus host disease & may be used in bone marrow or stem cell transplantation from an unrelated donor. (Based on 186 pt RCT w/ Orencia showing better survival (98 vs 75% PBO) https://t.co/9j9fPEwKJU
- Tofacitinib 1st JAK Inhibitor Approved for Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Rinvoq FDA Approved for Active Psoriatic Arthritis
- CDC Panel Recommends mRNA COVID Vaccines Over J&J Vaccine
- Ask Cush Anything #ACA Questions and cases from Rheumatologists!
- Dr. Joe Thomas: RA, JAK inhibitor and What to do with H. Zoster infection?
- Dr Nayef Alghanim: Management of Pulmonary Hemorrhage in SLE
- Dr. Srinath Bathula – Triple Positivity in SLE - anticoagulate or not?